Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cloth Diapering


Cloth Diapers - yep, we're thinking about doing it. We're both willing to do the work and we feel it is the best choice, at least for when we are at home. Most daycares won't deal with anything other than disposables and that's fine. I'm really hoping to find someone that already has some young children and wants to stay home and will take a few more kids to supplement their income. Especially with a young infant, I think this is a better option. Maybe they will be willing to deal with cloth diapers... I'm still researching this whole arena.

My brother and myself were both cloth diapered. Diapers have come a long way in the last 30 years! Pins have been replaced by snaps, stretchy tabs, and velcro. No more loud plastic pants, they have been replaced with customized embroidered covers and print fabrics! I might even be adventurous to try sewing some of my own! No longer is a "wet pail" recommended, especially if you have a method to pre-wash the diapers. Using a pail liner or wet bag, you can pretty much get all the dirty diapers in the wash without smelling or touching. This I can do!

Here's the front runner so far - bumGenius 2.0 One-Size Cloth Diaper

They are one size, so no buying an assortment of sizes. There is a snap-down rise to fit on smaller babies. I love the colors! They are really pocket diapers, so you can stuff the diaper with different liners depending on the absorbancy needed. I also really like the wipes they make out of bamboo fiber.

This is a pretty cool concept as well - The Potty Pail for pre-washing diapers.

Here are some of my favorite cloth diapering links right now:
Cotton Babies
PinStripes and PolkaDots
Diaper Pin

Bill and I are becoming more conscious about our footprint on the planet. We try to think about what our impact is. While we are not the most "granola crunchy" people you will ever meet, we believe that our efforts, no matter how small, do make a difference. I already use Lunapads so why would I not use cloth diapers?? This is not a foreign concept. More work - possibly. Better for our baby - absolutely.

Jon bought slipcovers for his sofa and loveseat. He asked me to make covers for the pillows and of course, I said yes! We picked some fleece to make what our family calls "Magic Pillows" (because you tend to fall asleep!) that matched the colors of the slipcovers. So far I have finished 4 tonight and I have 4 more left to go. I think they are turning out very well. We ended up buying more fleece than we needed but I will probably finish the project by making a blanket for Jon to use while watching TV.

Being in a fabric store, I couldn't resist looking at the fabric and of course I HAD to buy some great baby prints that I found! Once I get the pillows done for Jon, I'll start making some burp pads and lap pads with the fabrics I bought. I couldn't buy just one print.... this is exactly why I have so much craft stuff. BUT I know exactly what I am going to do with it and I'm using it instead of storing it. I can't wait to start! I have some new flannel, micro fleece, and terry cloth. I'll certainly post pictures of my masterpieces when I'm done!

I'm curling up to watch the Oscars tonight! Have I said how much I LOVE movies? This weekend we saw "Ghost Rider" and "Reno 911". Both were great! Once the baby comes, we'll be firing up the Netflix subscription...

No comments: