Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Nice Note!

I dropped a note to D's social worker yesterday giving her a status of everything that I know. D calls her pretty regularly but we talk much more frequently. I make sure the social worker knows about the situations that I'm aware of. I really wanted to make sure that she knew about G's grandmother so she could help D out with that. I also said that they could be moving back here within the week if all goes well.

This is part of the note that she sent back to me....

I talked to D today and she basically told me the same things that she told you. She also told me about G's grandma. D sounded great and AGAIN thanked me for helping her pick you guys! She couldn't feel happier about you guys or more secure with her decision to place with you. Whatever you're doing, it's working.

I love getting these notes or hearing that D talks so highly about us! We talk so highly of them.

What have I been doing? I haven't been working some master plan! I've been a friend. I listen, I don't pry, I don't tell her what I think she should do. I tell her that she can call me anytime, for any reason. She can talk to me about anything. I won't judge, I won't get angry, I'm just here for her. She can talk to me when she wants to, I don't force myself on her. I celebrate the happy things with her, I validate her feelings when she is sad. I let her set the conversation. If it's a day she wants to talk about the baby, we talk about that as much as she wants. If she doesn't want to talk about the pregnancy, we don't because we have plenty of other girl stuff to discuss!

Mostly, I've been myself. I treat her like I treat my best friend, we just don't have a long history. There was a reason why they picked us and why they felt drawn to our profile. It's much deeper than "they have a nice house and a cute dog, what else could our baby need?". From the beginning, I wanted them to know that they picked us for us, not the perfect version of us. What better way than to be yourself? We understand that they are scared and we are scared too, but together we can do this!

No comments: