Wednesday, July 11, 2007

So When Is The Birth Date??

I wish I knew!! This is the closest that I'm going to get to "haven't you had that baby yet??" so I'm not complaining. Everyone is just so excited and sharing in our joy!

I've talked to D a few times this week. She said she has a doctor's appointment on the 15th, but that is Sunday! I'm thinking it's on Friday or maybe on Monday. She pretty much has decided that they will be staying up north for the delivery. It just seems like the right thing to do at this point in time. She is almost 36 weeks (technically full term next Friday!) and she loves her current doctor. I'm hoping he will seriously discuss a c-section date so she will know how much time she has left.

D's mom is going up this weekend and she is recommending that they stay where they are right now. It's too big of a risk to try to move when she is almost 38 weeks or more! D misses being here more than anything and they really want to get away from G's stepmom, but this is just the way it has worked out. I want her to be with the doctor that she is most comfortable with and I can envision that if she were to deliver here, any doctor that was free would do her surgery. That would be way too traumatic for D. In a good way, this might be a very clear division of events and they can come back here to start completely "fresh", the birth being long behind them.

D and G are still very upset about the whole situation with G's dad and stepmother. The stepmom has been planning for some time to raise the baby herself, she just didn't have anyone else on board! She's been trying to stir up a lot of trouble by calling G's employer and all sorts of crazy things. D and G have been very concerned about her trying to interfere with the birth and adoption. D has talked to her social worker quite extensively about it and they have been reassured that this is their decision and no one else will be able to change their wishes. I have also talked to her about the security that the hospital has available and they don't even have to disclose that D has been admitted. They won't be allowed near her or the baby unless she gives special permission to the staff to do so. This is still going to bother her until it is all over and she knows we are home safely.

We are preparing for the 4 hour drive. It's going to be a grand adventure! Not sure how long we are going to be there - until Little Roo is released at least. 3 days - no idea? I need to start making a list of stuff we need to take with us and this is crazy because I have no idea what I'm doing! I'll have to install the car seat so we don't leave it behind! LOL Which vehicle do we take? Such problems, I know! :) Luckily my parents live about halfway between our home and where D is right now, so we will have a good stopping (and resting) place. Bill's parents are going to be taking care of Biscuit dog for us - what a lifesaver!

To add a little more spin to everything, D's social worker told both of us this week that she is going to be out of town for the last part of July. We're both pretty bummed, as we wanted her there with all of us. Someone else is going to have to do the adoption consents and I hope that is not too hard on D. However, she said she was pretty disappointed but then commented that she's not part of the vital team - we are! So we'll hope that the delivery is after her vacation and she's going to have a 4 hour trip as well, or it's just not part of the big plan.

I've been thinking so much lately about this whole process. When we were first matched with D and G, she was only 17 weeks along. Now she's sooooo close to 37 weeks! It seems like it has been a long time in some aspects but the time has gone by pretty quickly too. This is really the home stretch! All our gifts are ready to go but I still need to finish writing the letters. I'm still not sure how I'm going to convey how grateful we are to someone that completely changed our lives with an amazing, selfless decision.

To do tonight: wrap all the boxes, start the packing list, sew more baby carriers!

Happy Birthday G!!

No comments: