Thursday, November 8, 2007

Belly Buttons!

We went out running errands today... Meaghan is such a good traveler. A few days ago, she wasn't too hip on sitting in her car seat, but slowly she has gotten used to it. She snoozes when in the car but she still gets really annoyed when she can't do a great big stretch.

I checked her diaper to see if she needed to be changed, and when I was sticking her velcro tabs back down, something looked different. I thought maybe I had covered her little belly button stump by accident so I un-did the tabs again. Then... I saw it.... a real belly button! There was no little stump there! I freaked out, thinking we had torn it off by accident, but I looked and nothing was irritated or bloody, so it must have fallen off on it's own. Later I stripped Meaghan down and found her little stump in the bottom of her footie outfit. It is very dry.... so yep, it was just ready to come off. It's sitting here on the table and we're not sure what to do with it, although we will probably trash it. I can't imagine keeping it, but we keep looking at it!

Meaghan has a ped appt tomorrow morning. I wonder if she has gained back to her birth weight. She was only down 3 ounces at discharge on Monday. I also want to get a letter that she is healthy to travel in case the airline cares. She is going to be at least a week old, so I doubt anyone will bother us. We bought a bunch of fancy chocolates for the staff at the hospital that helped us and we will go up for a quick visit after seeing the doctor. I hope they will enjoy having some special treats and it will give us another opportunity to thank them for being so accomodating to us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Copngratulations! You are a beautiful family!

Mistymoon said...

Jenn, when I had my first baby (he's 43 now shhhh) I was changing him and when I pulled the diaper back the umbilical cord came off. I shrieked. "He's falling apart.) which had everyone running. My family still laughs over this. I am sooo happy for you. When I finished having mine I took in foster babies - right from the hospital. Babies arre the best Congratulations
Nance

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I've been out of town and out of internet range, but I was most eager to check in with your blog. CONGRATULATIONS, Mommy! I'm so, so happy for you. And your daughter is absolutely perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn ,

FF "stalker" again....;)
I would keep the stump ! They don't go bad or start to smell or anything ! I still have my dd's and it'll go into her scrapbook - one of these days ! It's a nice keepsake.....

Your dd is absolutely gorgeous !!!!
LOVE her hair !!

KRISTI said...

Fortunately, our daughter's stump fell off while DH was changing her diaper. It really weirded me out. UNFORTUNATELY, he chose to save it for me!